Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Reflections on One Big Year (Part 1: Teaching)

So I made it. First year of teaching down and I'm coming back for more next year. It was fun, exciting, tiring, boring, challenging, frustrating, and so much more. What did I learn?

  • Most students do want to learn (or at least do well) but you have to make it worth their time
  • Not doing homework is a virus that can quickly spread through a class if one isn't careful
  • I can only control what happens in my classroom so I better make good use of those 50 minutes
  • ALWAYS take your lunch
  • Bring as little work home as possible, your wife (and you) need non school time
  • Only teachers really enjoy teacher stories
  • You have to teach them not only the material but how to learn the material
  • Get to know the other teachers as people outside the classroom
  • A little food or candy can do wonders for the attitude of the class.
  • Apparently I can actually get students to learn something
  • I really am going to miss my students, I really enjoyed having them and I hope they believe me when I told them that.

I very much enjoyed my first year and am willing to go back but I am certainly glad to have this summer to relax first.

No comments: