Monday, August 14, 2006

Coaching - Day 1

So just finished my first day as a head coach. Now I've coached before, but never as a head coach where I was in charge. I have to say: hats off to those of you who have done this....especially those who have done it for a long time. I knew there was a lot that went on besdies practices and games but I have no idea how much. Rules meeting, league meeting, parents meeting, coaches meeting, physicals, emergency cards, parent issues, player issues, planning and running practices, getting equipment and the list goes on.

The good news is as hard as it was I had a blast and can't wait for day two. Although I'm not looking forward to cuts on Friday I am loving being a coach. I think the key to coaching happiness is coaching a sport the athletic director doesn't understand. It is like teaching if you were allowed to do it your way with no watchful eyes from an administrator. Plus if I say I need equipment he doesn't put up much of a fight since he doesn't really know what I'm even asking for.

In closing, thank your coaches today, they deserve it.

No comments: