Thursday, August 17, 2006

Coaching - Day 4

Cuts.

Not fun.

I've done some coaching before but never as a head coach so I never had to cut a player. Tommrow I do. Pouring over my lists and going back and forth between cut this player, no keep them, no cut them, no keep them . . .

In my head I've been comparing coaching to teaching and they are very similar. Planning drills (lessons) that will improve the players (students) skills (math abilities). Cuts are not like teaching at all. In teaching you have to tell everyone that they are smart and can do it. It is unacceptable that someone might not have the abilities to do well in any course. In coaching it is completely different. Tommrow I have to go into the gym and tell roughly 20 girls that "they aren't good enough" based on me watching them for four days. I can't say that I am looking forward to tommrow.

No comments: